I’ve been DYING to try these, but scared to (because I’ve never used canned salmon and the idea scared the crap out of me). But they were SO good I had to fight Desiree for the leftovers! (Just kidding, we shared. Kinda).
- 1 (15 oz) can of salmon* (see note)
- 2 tablespoons shallot, minced (about 1 shallot)
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup whole wheat Panko
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- For the sauce:
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon capers, pickling liquid drained
- 1 tablespoon dill, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon garlic, grated
- Place salmon in a medium bowl and add egg, whole wheat Panko, shallot, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt, and dijon mustard along with a little bit of black pepper.
- Mix together until thoroughly combined.
- Evenly separate this mixture into 4 parts, and make patties out of each.
- In a large skillet, heat your olive oil over medium to medium high heat.
- Sear your patties for about 3-5 minutes per side, until they are a deep golden brown.
- Place the pan in your preheated oven and bake for about 3 minutes or until the salmon burgers are cooked through.
- Meanwhile, for your sauce, mix all ingredients together in a medium bowl (the greek yogurt, lemon juice, capers, dill, and garlic) and season to taste with salt and pepper. Pop in the frigde until your burgers are ready.
- Serve! (I like mine over a bed of greens!)
*Note: DO YOURSELF A FAVOR and get boneless, skinless salmon. I made this mistake and I don’t recommend trying it — the WORST part was deboning and de-skinning the salmon (gross)…I didn’t even know it came like that! #coachjaimetips #recipes